Here is a short but insightful talk about naming a brand by Jonathan Bell.
Summarising the 7 ways of Naming:
- Eponymous: Embody the the vision and beliefs or a simple homage of their founders or inspiration. e.g., Disney, TATA.
- Descriptive names: Tell what the company does. e.g., American Airlines, Hindustan Petroleum.
- Acronymic: Shorthand versions of descriptive names; e.g., GE, Amul.
- Suggestive: Suggest attributes or benefits; e.g,
- Real: Uber, Nestle; Composite: Facebook, Carwale; Invented: Kleenex, Airtel
- Associative: Reflecting imagery and meaning. e.g., Amazon, Reliance.
- Non English: Non-English words implying the benefit. e.g. Lego, Vistara.
- Abstract: have no intrinsic meaning but instead rely on the power of phonetics to create really powerful brand names. e.g., Rolex, Zomato